[Mapbender_dev] just ranting

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Jul 8 05:00:36 EDT 2010

Christoph, Karim,
thanks for this. It is good to see this type of talk and enthusiasm - as
Christoph pointed out - is a delicate thing. But this should not prevent
us from saying what we think, even if it might feel a bit like stepping
on others' toes.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

On 07/07/2010 11:41 PM, Christoph Baudson wrote:

> Hi Karim, hi list,
>
> Karim Malhas wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I am getting frustrated: evertime I want to implement a teeny
>> bit of functionality I end up needing/wanting to rewrite the whole
>> thing because "every" function is written with one exact use case in
>> mind and can't be generally used. The code is also littered with
>> annoyances
>>
>> ( my current example:
>>
>>    map_obj.getExtent() returns a string of coordinates (just a
>>    comma seperated list without)
>>
>>    map_obj.getExtentInfo() OTOH returns  an Extent object
>>
>>    Why would they be named that way?
>> ).
>>

>> Then there's what I mentioned at the devsprint (too many "object"-types
>> that have blurry definitions, too many different callback/events
>> types).
>>

>> Everytime the I encounter something like that, the alternatives are
>> "rewrite" and "code around it" It usually ends up being "code around it"
>> which is, of course, a terrible idea because the next time someone
>> encounters _my_ code it will be even worse and so it builds up.
>>
>> But even if I chose "rewrite", what are the standards I'd be rewriting
>> by, I could make something up on the spot but our general direction is
>> fuzzy (or I haven't grokked it).
>
> Thinking there is a general direction in such a small project is a
> misconception. We are very much dependent on individuals at this stage.
> And any individual can have a huge impact on the project! The direction
> now (code-wise) is more or less the result of my struggle with the
> existing code. Of course it's flawed, but it's much better than it had been.
>
> Believe it or not, things have been much worse in the past. Now we are
> at least using libraries, we have coding standards, and the code is at
> least object-based, we are having regular coding sprints, the mailing
> list is busy, etc etc. The wheels are in motion.
>
> Remember that Mapbender has not been designed by computer scientists.
> When it was first released, no one was doing anything like Mapbender.
> And today, still no one does. It may not be easy to code for, but the
> software works, and is in wide use. A lot of projects have come and gone
> in the past years, but Mapbender has always been there.
>
> I can understand your concerns, but with Mapbender we have the chance to
> work for an established, well-used project with a unique and inspiring
> concept, which is imho way cooler than starting from scratch. And with
> you on board, we have enough skilled developers who are capable of
> taking over the code and improving it all we want. So let's talk about
> what we should improve, I'm open to all of your suggestions.
>
> Before you came to the project, I was ranting just like you do now, but
> that didn't help either, so my advice is save your energy for something
> better :-) We need to be both consequent and patient.

> [...]

Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us