[Mapbender_dev] Handling REST API requests.

Karim Malhas karim at malhas.de
Sun Jul 11 10:32:04 EDT 2010

> > You can have a single script for each resource type in the approach I
> > mentioned. Think of it like this
> >
> > api/users.php/json
> > api/user.php/<id>/json
> > api/wms.php/<id>/json>
> >
> > etc.
> >

> Even if it is api/users.php/json
> when the client will send a request GET api/users/json , the server will
> look for api/users/json/index.php or api/users/json/index.html

I don't understand the "GET api/users/json" request, what is that
supposed to get?

Let me try to give a summary of the discussion so far :

1) Map all paths to /index.php and do all the path-parsing there

  example: "/user/25" is rewritten to /index.php which can then
  parse "/user/25"

  advantage: nice URLs
  disadvantage: additional configuration in the webserver needed

2)

  Give the path as an argument to index.php

  example: "/index.php/user/25" will call /index.php which can then
  parse "/user/25"

  advantage:  simple, can be used together with a rewrite

3)

  like 2), but for each Resource

  there's a ".php"  in each url, which could be gotten rid of
  with URL rewiriting but it's more work than in 2)

Me my personal preference would be 2)

I would also prefer specify Content-Type as ".json" not "/json", so you
don't have to treat it as a special case in path parsing

Regards,
Karim