[Mapbender_dev] Mapbender 3 dialogue (status)

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Thu Nov 4 04:45:37 EDT 2010

Christoph Baudson wrote:

>>> I also suggest a face to face meeting next week, here's the doodle [2]
>>
>> If we want to meet this week, we better come up with a date.
>>
>> As the OSGeo local chapter meeting is on Wednesday, we could also
>> meet there (but earlier), like 1800. I changed the doodle.
>
> The poll is closed. The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Nov
> 3rd, 18:00 at Bierhaus Machold [1] in Bonn. From 19:30 on the OSGeo
> Local Chapter meeting will follow.
>
> We will take notes and share them later on.

The meeting was productive, we talked a lot about our perspectives on
Mapbender and exchanged ideas for 3.0. It's good to see people listening
to each other and acting as a community.

We also created a list of things we want or no longer want in Mapbender
3.0. We passed around a pen and pad, and people added to the list. At
least seven people contributed to the list. I will share it as soon as
possible.

To me, the core points were:

* Mapbender 3 needs the input of all community members, not only
developers. Each individual must feel responsible and be aware that
their contributions are important. Only a true team effort will result
in a version three in the foreseeable future. We need evangelists, UI
experts, designers, documentators, ..., and possibly most important,
facilitators who help form a truly great team of interdependent
individuals. Please step forward and help.

* The core concept of Mapbender is still valid, there is a need for
user-dependent service and application management. Data will be
addressed first. We will have to clean up the database structure a bit,
but there is no real demand for a revolution, which also means updating
users, groups and services from 2.7 will be possible. The priority will
be getting the resources users, groups and services (maybe focusing on
WMS first) right, before thoroughly addressing applications in the next
year (maybe when OpenLayers 3.0 is ready).

Please share your summaries and give feedback.

I guess we should do this again real soon, maybe next week.

Thanks,

Christoph

> Thanks,
>
> Christoph