Mapbender migration to the Open Soure Geospatial Foundation

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Thu Mar 2 05:50:37 EST 2006

Hi All,
we are happy to announce that we are migrating the Mapbender Project to
the Open Source Geospatial Foundation platform. Our new home - hopefully
for years to come - will be:

http://mapbender.osgeo.org

The good message is: You will not have to do anything ...yet. This is
just a first information on what is going to happen in the next months.

If you want to get involved during the transition you are invited to
create yourself an account to access the OSGeo site and thus be able to
browse, read, join and cooperate with all the other OSGeo Foundation
projects. Just hit <create account> in the top right corner of:
http://www.osgeo.org
on the "create account" link and follow the instructions.

Subscribe to the Mapbender announce and user list (this one:
users at mapbender.osgeo.org), that way you stay informed about what is
going on. As we are one of the first projects to move in, the site is
still somewhat empty, but that is going to change quickly within the
next few months when MapServer, MapGuide Open Source, Mapbuilder,
GeoTools, GeoServer, GDAL/OGR and all the other top of the notch
projects are going to join us.

Once you have created an account you can join the Mapbender Development,
User or Test Team with specific roles as Contributer, Developer,
Observer, User, QualityManager or any combination of these. Once you
know what you think your role might be, ask for it by hitting the
corresponding button. You will find everything, it is very well
organized but obviously a little more complex due to the more
professional scope of the site.

For the next few days / weeks we will answer requests on all mailing
lists but will always point people to the new list addresses, so that we
can stop using the current SourceForge lists. Once we all think that
this has worked fine we will also migrate the larger user list and try
to do this with as little friction as possible. We have moved the devel
list first in the hope to sort out any problems and make it easier for
the standard users.

This Wiki / web site is going to stay where it is for the time being, we
are still working out with CollabNet on how to best integrate it into
the OSGeo Foundation Infrastructure.

There are for sure going to be minor problems - thats how software works
- but we are positive that the migration to the OSGeo platform will give
us a head start and help to integrate even better with all the other
Foundation Projects. Just try to warm yourself to the idea that we are
taking the next of improving our Open Source Software development
skills. Use the discussion page int he Wiki to post any ideas. Request
for an account to edit this Wiki at uli at osgeo.org or arnulf at osgeo.org.

Thanx for your help and have fun!

With best regards, the Mapbender PSC