[Mapbender-users] kind of access control to my WMS-Service

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Apr 1 16:03:51 EDT 2007

On Fri, March 30, 2007 23:55, Michael Schulz wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> have a look at the owsproxy functionality of recent mapbender
> versions. It provides the required functionality.
>
> Cheers, Michael

Hi,
unfortunately I never got around to updating and fleshing out the OWS
Proxy pages. Promise that this will be done soon (sooooooometime).

Here comes the shortest possible summary, there are three things to do.
1. Mapbender: enable the OWS Proxy module in ../owsproxy/http/index.php by
configuring mapbender.conf
2. Apache owsproxy alias: create a redirect to use hashed wms-id and
session-id as part of the Online Resource
3. Apache cgi-bin: protect ../cgi-bin/mapserv (by htaccess) so that only
../owsproxy/http/index.php can access it. Nobody else is allowed to access
the WMS directly. If you do not "own" the WMS and can do things like this
you cannot protect it. Obviously.

After performing these steps you can simply check the correpsonding WMS
using admin1 in the OWS Proxy module and from that moment all requests are
routed through the owsproxy facade.

Best reagrds,
Arnulf.

> 2007/3/30, Marco Lechner <marco.lechner at geographie.uni-freiburg.de>:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I think I don't quite get it, but there should be a simple answer.
>> I want my UMN-mapserver-WMS-Service (cgi) to be accessible only by using
>> my mapbender installation on our webserver.
>> Right now everybody could access my WMS by using any GIS-Client
>> supporting  WMS. Well, pretty nice according to free geodata, but not so
>> nice, if there is data provided which is under license restrictions.
>>
>> Marco

> Michael Schulz
> mschulz at webgis.de
>
> in medias res
> Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
>
> In den Weihermatten 66
> 79108 Freiburg
>
> Tel  +49 (0)761 556959-5
> Fax +49 (0)761 556959-6