[mapguide-dev] Metadata

Carsten Hess carsten.hess at autodesk.com
Mon Sep 18 20:44:32 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Sorry for joining this discussion so late, I just didn't get around to typing an answer about it sooner. Let me share with all of you the thinking behind why  I chose the signatures for the stubs in the MapGuide Web API the way they are.

Metadata indeed is a tricky topic - I totally agree with you Jason. There are several standards and most of them are used by a variety of countries but none of them in all. In the US we have this law that asks all government agencies to create FGDC metadata for all data they create. As a result almost everyone in the US is mainly concerned about native FGDC support.

If you go to Europe things are different, no one cares about FGDC, they all want ISO ...  Then there is the OGC standard which is gaining popularity...

So, no matter what standard we would choose to add to the MapGuide API, it would be the wrong one ...

The only thing they all have in common is that they have a well defined XML schema representation. So if in the MapGuide API we support a general XML schema storage for Metadata we support the most common (if not all) of the standards out there and applications can use the schema information in the XML content to decide what kind of metadata they are  dealing with.

Then there was the question of whether we should make metadata its own resource type or add a special API like I did. The reason why I chose a new API ultimately is exactly your concern Jason. Storing metadata as a xml  blob may not be the right decision as it won't scale and all resource data is stored as blob.

Ideally metadata could be indexed in a server so it can be searched quickly. Since we are using DbXML indexing XML files is really easy. Also different MapGuide applications could implement the metadata xml differently and still it would sclae up which is much harder if we were to choose making it a resource type or hardcode a specific metadata standard.

So ... anyways ... that is where I am at with my thinking ... what do you all think?

Cheers,
   Carsten