[mapguide-dev] DescribeSchema

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Tue Sep 19 16:51:40 EDT 2006

You are right. DescribeSchema is a major choke point for any code that
calls it a lot. It should be cached whenever possible. That said,
MapGuide is going to (or already has) some caching of the schemas, so
it's not that critical for the provider to have a fast DescribeSchema,
unless you are worried about code other than MapGuide. However, I would
argue that competently written FDO code already avoids repeated calls to
things like:

  * DescribeSchema
  * GetSpatialContexts
  * FdoIFeatureReader::GetClassDefinition
  * anything that converts FDO stuff to XML.

Traian

  _____