[mapguide-internals] RE: [fdo-internals] Raster Catalogs (aka Tileindexes)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Jan 26 11:43:58 EST 2007

All, we've been discussing a mechanism for having a spatially queryable
raster catalogue within the GDAL FDO provider on the fdo-internals list.
This will speed up provider performance when there are many images in a
single directory.  I think this part of the conversation is more
mapguide-specific.

FrankW wrote:

--------------
I was assuming that the Studio developers would be doing something for
generating this config file in studio.  Actually, I have no idea how
people normally create these config files.
--------------

It's possible that Studio's mechanisms for generating the config files
as part of the load procedure is specific to the ADSK provider.  I
wouldn't count on it working with the Raster provider.

I believe that the config files stored as resource data are generated as
part of the MapGuide 6.5 -> Enterprise migration, or through a load
procedure?

--------------
So, I find myself backing off a bit and thinking perhaps I would offer
an output switch for my existing gdaltindex program that would provide
XML config files instead of shapefiles.

That would be acceptable from my POV.  Will it output to stdout?  From
there, we could build a PHP web service that uses this tool to generate
the config file given a local path, which could be used for creating
unmanaged raster data sources in web studio.  It would mean that we'd
need to get the gdaltindex util into the MapGuide build process, but...

This would also give us the flexibility of just creating the raster data
sources from the commandline on the server.