[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 13 - Configurable tile size

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Jan 29 12:31:26 EST 2007

This is a good first step.  My long-term preference would be to leave
the MapDefinition as accepting the server default tile size, and
implementing a new construct as suggested by Andy to abstract TileGroups
so that they can be reused across MapDefinitions.  That gets complicated
when you have more than one TileGroup in a single map though :)

At some point, the front end is going to have to make up to two calls to
determine the tile size.  I think that it makes sense to have the calls
in the TilingService, but at some point the front ends are going to have
to check the tile size on both a Service and Map/TileGroup level.  Would
it make sense to call these methods GetDefaultTileSize(X|Y) ?

Will the tile size setting be on a per-site-server level?  If you have
multiple tiling support servers set up (I'm not even sure if this is
possible) will they inherit the settings from the main server, or need
to be configured individually?  What happens if they have different
settings?

Jason