[mapguide-internals] RESTful Ramblings of a Restless Lunatic

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 3 22:17:18 EDT 2007

I haven't had time to read this in detail, nor do I understand how to
craft RESTful interfaces yet.  I have a specific question about
enumeration, please feel free to tell me I don't know what the hell
I'm talking about :)

1) I don't understand how the url gets built with parameters in a
RESTful approach, can you provide an example of what the url would
look like?

2) Is it RESTful to craft the numerate resources as follows:

GET /Library/

returns all resources at all depths below /Library

GET /Libary/n

returns the content n levels deep

GET /Libary/FeatureSource
GET /Library/FeatureSource/n ... or GET /Library/n/FeatureSource

returns only feature sources?

Um, if the above is useful then how do we request the enumeration to
come back in .xml, .json etc?  By just appending /<content type> to
the end?

Next question:  Is it possible to have two different resource types
with the same name in the same folder?  IE

/Library/Parks.FeatureSource
/Library/Parks.LayerDefinition

If not, then what would the impact be of changing the various calls
to drop the type specifier?

Cheers

Paul