[mapguide-internals] RFC 38 - GETDYNAMICMAPOVERLAYEnhancementsforSelection

Trevor Wekel trevor.wekel at autodesk.com
Wed Oct 10 12:37:41 EDT 2007

Hi Jason,

Being able to specify a smaller bit-depth transparent image is an
interesting idea but I have a couple of questions/concerns on it:

Will using a smaller depth selection image make a significant difference
to the size of the image being returned?  I'm not sure what a "typical"
selection is but a single parcel is not a very complicated (or large)
image.

If we allow for smaller color depth then we will need to specify
different stylization rules for the selection.  Going from a 24 bit
color space to an 8 bit color space is significant. Using an 8 bit
indexed color scheme may be a reasonable tradeoff.  I will have to check
to see if the renderer can support on the fly the color space
transformation.  This would be a really slick optimization for overlay
images that contain less than 255 colors.

As for what happens with a null selection?  A transparent image should
be returned.

Good questions.  Thanks!