[mapguide-internals] RESTful Ramblings of a Restless Lunatic

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Oct 11 13:25:04 EDT 2007

You're absolutely right Bob (well, from my reading anyway), reference
here:

http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/uri-spec.html

The character doesn't really matter to me, but I don't want to see it
being encoded.  Basically, we just need a common way of separating the
resource from the filter.

Looks like the only open/close option is standard parens (), but there
are a lot of single delimiter such as $ or @

To avoid problems, it would be nice if we could choose a delimiter that
is not a valid resource names in MapGuide if possible.  Any suggestions?
Now you're going to tell me that MapGuide allows any URI-valid
characters :)

From: Robert Bray
Subject: Re: [mapguide-internals] RESTful Ramblings of a Restless
Lunatic

I just did some checking and the way I read the URI specification (RFC
3986) square brackets [ ] are not valid within the path portion of a
URI. Hence they would need to be encoded as %5B and %5D.

Someone else should probably look and validate that. I decided to check
because I have never seen brackets used within a URI path before, and
non-standard syntax always raises a flag in my head.