[mapguide-internals] Question about new application schema

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Sep 6 14:39:41 EDT 2007

Jason,

the schema is not quite final, but its close.  We are just tweaking a
few parts of it as we proceed with implementation.

The basic widget tag structure is:

<Widget>
   <Name></Name>
   <Type></Type>
   <Description></Description>
   <Location></Location>
   <Extension>
   </Extension>
   <ImageUrl></ImageUrl>
   <ImageClass></ImageClass>
   <Tooltip></Tooltip>
   <Label></Label>
   <Disabled></Disabled>
</Widget>

Name: links to an HTML DOM element of the same id
Type: the widget type (same as the .js file that implements the
widget, and the class name)
over the widget - TBD
Location: (optional) relative path to the widget.  If not set, this
defaults to widgets/.  By convention, other widgets should go in the
ext directory and Location would be set to 'ext/nanaimo' with the
widget js files being inside nanaimo folder
Extension: (optional) this can have any content, and is used for all
extra parameters that a widget uses, except the UI widget items below.

The remaining tags are associated with a UiWidgetType - buttons
essentially - and do what you would expect.

Each widget is supposed to have a small XML file that describes the
widget in terms that can be used to generate some kind of UI for
editing/configuring the widget.  The details of this have yet to be
discussed.

However, you can add any widget-specific parameters to the widget in
the Extension tag.

Cheers

Paul