[mapguide-internals] Tile maps...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Sep 14 18:38:17 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've been thinking (not a good sign) about how tile maps are implemented
in MapGuide.  I'm seeing some real limitations on how useful this is
going to be for me because of the association of tile sets with specific
maps.

With the new Fusion framework, I intend to have several dozen maps
(themes), each using one of three tile set definitions.  With the
current inclusion of tile groups in map definitions, this means that
I'll have to have separate copies of these tile groups for each one of
my maps.

I would really like to see some way of abstracting tile groups from map
definitions.  Either through a new resource type that defines the tile
group, or by allowing tiled maps to be referenced from regular maps,
rather than redefined in each one.

Thoughts?