[mapguide-internals] Why are some FDO providers missing fromtheMapGuide installation?

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Apr 5 17:41:09 EDT 2008

No and yes :)

I believe that MapGuide needs a standalone Windows installer that includes IIS support, mostly because that is the configuration that I need to use.  OSGeo4W doesn't appear to scratch my itch.

Adding a MapGuide module to OSGeo4W would be a great opportunity to make MapGuide more accessible to people who want to install an entire OSGeo stack though, and I'd be happy to help with this.

I think I'd need developer support though.  The dependancies look a lot more complicated, especially on the web side, than a standalone installer.  OSGeo4W is ahead of us in a few areas (Apache, GDAL, GEOS at least), so I can't just build using the distributed OEM packages, and I'd be worried that the version differences would lead to problems that I don't have a clue how to solve.

Apart from the file install, the installer will need to install a service, an apache module, a php module, and modify some settings in php.ini.  There are other things I'm probably missing :)

Jason

________________________________

From: Frank Warmerdam
Subject: Re: [mapguide-internals] Why are some FDO providers missing fromtheMapGuide installation?

Jason Birch wrote:
> I'm going to be looking at building an NSIS installer for MGOS, hopefully in
> the next month or so but don't hold me to that...
>
> I've also been considering whether WiX is a better choice, but it seems a
> bit less flexible.
>
> Do you have any experience with either or a different open source install
> builder?

Jason,

Would you consider helping to package MGOS for OSGeo4W instead?

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W

Best regards,