[mapguide-internals] RFC 57 - Refining the linux build process and generating install packages

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 17 00:30:26 EST 2008

Zac Spitzer wrote:
> is this ready for a vote?
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc57
>
> i'd like to get this moving, blogging about it and trying to russle up
> some capable people to get involved
>
> Cameron Shorter from Lisasoft is working on getting some live cd's
> together for FOSS4G and a few magazines
> which this RFC would make rather easy

Zac,

I don't feel that the RFC is very meaningfully complete.  "Implications: TBD"?

My feeling is that there is no harm for this work to proceed in a branch if
that is what is desired (or even potentially in the main tree, but without
disrupting the existing build system), but that before we declare it the
official build system (presumably only on Unix) we will need an explanation
of the issues and implications.

So I would suggest the experiment proceed, and the RFC be updated at some
point as part of a process to make the CMake system the official unix
build system later when we know the issues.  In the meantime folks could
play with it.

Doh!  I just realized this is all about MapGuide, not FDO.

Umm, well, I think my opinion is sort of reasonable.  But clearly I
don't have the same degree of input.

Best regards,