[mapguide-internals] Potential legend enhancements (was RFC 50-Hide Legend Styles)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Jul 21 15:26:53 EDT 2008

Thanks Maksim,

Personally, I'd really rather see this kind of core change made at the
server level so that all users could benefit from it.  The less custom
code required, the more easy it will be to migrate maps from one release
to the next.

My main reason for this change is that my existing MapGuide 6.5 maps
allow me to collapse multiple layers into a single "group" that doesn't
show up as clearly as a folder.  My existing users are going to find it
confusing to click on a folder to turn it on, and then get no visual
representation of what the layers contained in that folder look like.
I'm going to have to do this though, because I can't let them turn the
layers within the group on/off independently.

MapGuide 6.5 only shows the symbology of the uppermost layer in the
group in this case, so it certainly shouldn't be used as a reference
implementation, but it's better than nothing :)

If there is no further feedback on this (such as, "that's a terrible
idea"), I'll put in an enhancement request.

From: Maksim Sestic
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] Potential legend enhancements (was RFC
50-Hide Legend Styles)

I don't know whether MG legend definition is constrained by certain
standards, but you may consider switching to custom solution as I did
(early
screenshots follow):

http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=107372

Yes, I'm working on some municipal solution too (spatial and zoning
plans,
cadastre, etc). It requires a bit different approach on displaying
thematic
layers since "thematic" part is very stretched term here :-) as each
spatial
plan has it's own thematic setup users are not allowed to change. BTW,
my
solution was initially designed for POI terminals so it had to follow
specific UI scenarios.

If you still want to go down MG/Fusion way, you may consider displaying
spatial/zoning plans coverage first, then when specific plan (polygon)
is
picked it should display it's contents. Specific thematic maps get
displayed
based on consecutive menu picks.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic