[mapguide-internals] Bringing MapStudio Open Source into MapGuide project...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Mar 28 13:50:20 EDT 2008

Hi all,

As we discussed at the last PSC meeting, MapStudio is definitely shaping
up to be a decent editing tool for MapGuide Open Source, and it would be
beneficial for both projects to bring MapStudio "into the fold".

I've discussed this possibility offline with Kenneth, and he is
agreeable, so I'm going to take a shot at an initial RFC.

Does anyone have an opinion on where this should go in the SVN tree?  I
was thinking something like:

/trunk/Tools/MapStudio

One complication is that MapStudio leverages a customised API for
connecting to MapGuide.  Currently it's stored in Google Code at the
same level as the MapStudio code:

http://code.google.com/p/mapstudioos/source/browse/trunk

Another is that it would be nice to be able to retain the revision
history for this code.  Kenneth is willing to take care of generating a
dump file that could be svnadmin load'ed into the MapGuide repository,
but I want to make sure that this is OK with everyone.  We will also
need to see if we can get OSGeo SAC buy-in for this process.

There are instructions for using MapStudio with Mono on Ubuntu:

http://code.google.com/p/mapstudioos/wiki/MapStudioLinux

Once we have integrated MapStudio into Trac, I'll help set up a wiki
section devoted to it, and transfer the pages from Google Code.  It
would be nice of someone could help with instructions for setting it up
on OS-X, etc.