[mapguide-internals] MapGuide open source builds - Linux & Cmake

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 10:28:11 EDT 2008

Traian Stanev wrote:
> For what it's worth, I tried to use cmake last night to set up a Linux build
> for the SQLite provider. I wanted to see what the big deal was about cmake.
> Now I know -- it doesn't suck. I see no problem as using cmake for the Linux
> build, or even only as an optional build system alongside automake -- the
> cmake files are just some more text files that would be sitting alongside
> the automake files.

Folks,

Well, while I'm still a bit uncertain (I have had a very confusing time with
cmake in the QGIS project) I think it could be quite viable as long as there
are long term committed developers like Traian willing to support it.

If we do move to cmake I would encourage flushing all the automake/autoconf
stuff so that we fully get the advantage of the cmake simplicity.  (well
perhaps after a modest transitional period).

Best regards,