[mapguide-internals] MapGuide Open Source 2.1

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Oct 16 22:48:32 EDT 2008

I can see how using SVN externals would work for some things (and think it is pretty cool), especially if a conscious effort is made to use the latest stable branch in trunk development, and only fixing on a particular tag once a release version of MapGuide is made.  However, this doesn't solve the problem of external libraries that are not using SVN.

For very common libraries, I'd personally prefer to see developers manage their own installs of the requisite software, just like most users have to (especially on Linux).  This will allow us to participate more fully in the Linux ecosystem; now we seem to be kinda tied to the old one-service-per-box mentality where you can afford to dictate OS and versions.

Jason

From: Hugues Wisniewski
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] MapGuide Open Source 2.1

What Bruce describes is what we decided to adopt when switching from PROJ4 to CS-Map that is grabbed the source code from where it is hosted.

One can create a branch on a version that we know builds with MapGuide and move to a more recent branch only when we are sure it builds correctly with MapGuide