[mapguide-internals] RE: RFC 81 is ready for review

Buddy Hu Buddy.Hu at autodesk.com
Mon Aug 24 10:04:44 EDT 2009

Thank Trevor for your reply!

I don't think we have a bandwidth issue. These attributes have been requested when the features were selected, we just use these attributes. So this new feature won't add any request to the MapGuide Server. And this feature is available for the user to select 20 or 30 features most on the map. If the user select hundreds of features, it's not a typical use of this "Feature Inspector" panel.

About the secondary highlight, I have reply it in the last mail. I don't think we need it. Because we can't use the highlight to distinguish the feature.And I need to clarify the requirement again, maybe it's not so clear in the RFC:

Basically, this function is for SELECTING features in following case:
1.       In some case, it’s not possible or very difficult to distinguish some features VISUALLY on the map (they are either overlapped or too close with each other)
2.       So the user has to distinguish the features by reading their attributes
3.       After distinguished the features by checking the attributes, the user should be able to easily make the “wanted” feature(s) selected

Given the item 1 above, we can see, “highlight the feature in a different color” doesn’t really help us that much, because we already know it’s not possible to distinguish them VISUALLY on the Map (otherwise, we don’t need the inspector, we just zoom and pan to the right feature on the map and select it).

And with the current disign, we don't need "turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off, invert checked" (8 clicks) to get what we want.
We just read the attributes of feature in the tree, distinguish what we want by these attributes and click what we want.

Thanks,
-Buddy Hu