[mapguide-internals] RE: GDAL stability in MGOS 2.1

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 31 13:28:50 EST 2009

Trevor Wekel wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I am glad to see you are interested.  I will need to do some investigation
> to determine where the instability is coming from.  If I do find something
> in GDAL, I think it would be good to add an additional test to the GDAL test
> suite.  It would help to ensure GDAL Provider stability from release to
> release.  Maybe I'm a bit jaded but all too often the phrase "if it isn't
> tested, it's probably broken" seems to apply when working with complex code
> bases.

Trevor,

There is certainly much truth in this!  An the way the test suite is
setup now, it never does any sort of multi-threaded testing so I have
yet to do any multi-threaded testing.

> I can certainly help out with code changes and test suite improvements.
> Let's keep in touch.  Hopefully my little MapGuide/GDAL stability and
> performance initiative won't drag on too long.

I certainly think this is a good opportunity for the community to decide
if this is a significant issue for their use case and help push it forward.

Best regards,