[mapguide-internals] About the WiX installer

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sun Mar 1 22:34:50 EST 2009

Jackie, did you check out these links already?

http://is.gd/lelb

http://is.gd/lenK

Another option may be to use environmental variables.  E.g.:

<?if $(env.MyVar) = BlahBlah ?>
  <?include MyConfig.wxs ?>
<?endif ?>

I think that ideally most of the configuration parameters would be stored in include files, and then the configuration ID (file name) would be passed via a single parameter.  This would allow us to have standard configuration files, but would also allow developers to maintain their own config files for custom in-house installers, etc.  For ease of build scripting it may be desirable to pass in a build number / name or something too though (e.g. "r3423" or "2.1 RC-1") so that the script doesn't have to create the config file on the fly.

I wonder if it would be hard to modify Paraffin to use a relative path.  As far as I know it's open source, and I think the author would likely welcome the contribution.  You're using the current version that works with WiX 3.0, right?  Alternately, it may be worthwhile to look at heat.exe, but because this doesn't parse an existing wxs, I don't see it as a stable way of maintaining GUIDs.

As an aside, this is definitely worth reading; explains how WiX deals with relative paths, search paths, etc:

http://is.gd/lmYC

Jason