[mapguide-internals] Installer: .net framework really required?

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 08:59:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Jackie Ng <jumpinjackie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've added a feature condition to the affected features to disable them if
> the .NET Framework is not present. The user will also get a nice dialog
> stating that some features won't be available.

In terms of the dialog, what do you think about adding an explaination that
Maestro is a GUI client for MapGuide?

Also  it's a little unclear that the .NET option is only an option and that the
that php / java extensions will still be available and that they are
all functionally equivalent

> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/changeset/3724
>
> And it may surprise you, but there are plenty of XP and Server 2003 boxen
> out there without .NET 2.0 installed.

I just checked one of my windows 2003 R2 server's and it didn't have it either

> - Jackie
>

> Jason Birch wrote:
>>
>> The installer has a condition that means it refuses to continue if .Net is
>> not installed.
>>
>> Are there really servers out there that don't have .Net 2.0 installed? :)
>>
>> Anyway, the Maestro component and the WebServerExtension (when configured
>> for .Net) require .Net 2.0.  I'm not sure what would happen if they were
>> installed without it, but I have a feeling that the WSE virtual
>> directories would get misconfigured.
>>
>> Jason

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com