[mapguide-internals] Improving the Code Base/ General Approach to Commenting Code / Inline Documentation as a community effort???

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Mar 19 12:37:22 EDT 2009

There may, however, be a benefit in having a sandbox directory in the
svn root (parallel to trunk etc) in which folks can create working
copies to test out changes etc.

This has been used very successfully in the OpenLayers project and is
starting to be used in MapServer - anybody can get a sandbox account
which gives them commit privileges to the sandbox directory only.

There are many benefits to this approach and I believe the OSGeo
infrastructure now supports this structure because Chris Schmidt made
it that way so he could move OpenLayers to the OSGeo infrastructure.
MapServer is adopting this as well, permitting anyone with an OSGeo
account to get sandbox access.

Cheers

Paul

On 19-Mar-09, at 11:37 AM, Traian Stanev wrote:

> Since you asked for comments... If you send your documentation
> patches to someone with commit rights, or post them on the mailing
> list, I'm sure they will be more than happy to check them in.
> Generally, to get commit rights, you have to submit several viable
> patches first. Personally (and I don't have a vote on this :) ), I
> don't think there is need for many levels of commit rights.

    Paul Spencer
    Chief Technology Officer
    DM Solutions Group Inc
    http://research.dmsolutions.ca/