[mapguide-internals] RFC60 - Memory Management & Object LifeCycle Issues between Mdf Parser and runtime Maps

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Fri Mar 20 11:24:58 EDT 2009

You should not use Ptr<> for STL objects. It's specifically used for refcounted MapGuide API objects, which implement a specific interface (MgDisposable).

1) Children of the LayerDefinition will die if their parent dies. If you need them for longer, copy them, instead of pointing to them. Alternatively, keep the LayerDefinition alive until you are done -- this is what the rendering code does, for performance reasons.

2) I don't know what you mean. You mean the same runtime MgMap object instance?

Traian