[mapguide-internals] Commit rights for UV

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri May 8 08:19:49 EDT 2009

Some random thoughts on this thread ...

One of the great features of a version control system is that it is
easy to roll back changes that didn't work out or were perhaps ill-
advised.  What is the real risk here of allowing folks to commit?  I
suspect that the risks are more theoretical than real.

On a side note, Google Code has a review tool which is, interestingly,
hooked to code that has already been committed rather than to a queue
of patches awaiting submission.

On the sandbox thing, if we allow interested developers commit access
and just ask them not to commit to trunk without review that would
probably suffice.  The number of interested developers is countable on
one hand of a woodworker who has had several accidents ...

One other thought, I think that if code is committed, it is more
likely to receive a review in a realistic time frame too ;)

I personally haven't reviewed UV's code, nor would I be right person
to do so, but it seems from at least some of the comments that it
represents a substantial investment in time to understand the nature
of a problem in the code and fix it.  Sounds like we need people like
this in the project ...

I guess what I am driving at is that I am in favour of being more
permissive rather than less, given that the actual risk is much lower
than the perceived risk

Paul