[mapguide-internals] RFC60 for vote please

Walt Welton-Lair walt.welton-lair at autodesk.com
Mon May 11 12:59:50 EDT 2009

The purpose of the RFC is to improve the color palette used for PNG8 tiles, and one of the main motivations was to solve this problem:
      Therefore adjacent map tiles might use different colors for map areas crossing tile boundaries.
      This is very obvious and disturbing to the human eye.

The context in which this problem came up involved maps that used the old stylization.  The same problem, however, will occur with PNG8 tiled maps that use the new stylization.  Why should we only fix this for the old stylization and not for the new?  All I want is some official commitment that someone is going to extend this work to also include the new stylization.  We want to encourage people to start using the new stylization more, and RFC 60 (as it stands now) doesn't do that.

It's similar to the raster reprojection work (RFC 51) that was done last summer.  Right now only AGG and DWF have this working and not GD.  I raised that concern during the RFC review process, and the "solution" was to deprecate GD (this work is still ongoing with RFC 52).  The raster reprojection RFC notes this.

My hope is that UV will be the one to do this additional work for RFC 60 - "you need to finish what you start" is my philosophy.  I understand he's not familiar with the new stylization right now, but I don't think figuring out how to do this is really that difficult - UV could certainly manage it.  I'd also be able to provide some pointers to help get this done.

Walt