[mapguide-internals] Symbol Library and DWF

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Sun May 17 10:16:01 EDT 2009

I am working on implementing Symbol Library support for Maestro.
I have found no documentation explaining how Symbol Libraries work,
if documents exist, a link would be appreciated.

I have looked at the examples from the Sheboygan package,
and I can deduce that they work by having an xml document
listing the avalible file names.

I would then expect that the filenames refer to attached resource data,
but instead, there seems to be a DWF file named "symbols.dwf"
attached as the only resource data, and the filename seems to be fixed.

It seems as if the DWF file is just being used as an archive for
files, and the images are stored in "w2d" format.
There also seems to be some transformation data present.

Are the transformation data constant?
Are they parsed/used by MapGuide?

I find the DWF format a bit overkill for simply storing images,
so I suspect that there is something I have overlooked.
What is the benefit of using DWF as opposed to just storing images,
as resource data, and transformation data in the xml resource directly?

--
Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S