Visual Studio Express Editions support? was: [mapguide-internals] Motion Vote: RFC 104 - Support Visual Studio 2010

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 10:17:47 EDT 2010

Well I put my money where my mouth is and tried building MGOS with VC express
and the only "problems" are:

 1. VS express doesn't support solution files with solution folders (as
Traian already mentioned). Workaround is just to "flatten" the whole
solution and have all projects at the same level.
 2. VS express also doesn't support solution files with mixed project types.
Oem.sln is one such solution file (though I believe the project in question,
SQLiteGUI isn't really used), and the other one is our wix installer.
 3. All the .rc files #include afxres.h (or something similar) which doesn't
exist in VC express. This can be safely substituted with winresrc.h (which
is part of the Windows SDK), and the projects all build without issues.
 4. The wix installer won't build because the solution file contains mixed
project types and because some of the custom action projects use MFC, which
is not available in the express edition. This was already a known problem.

Barring problem #4 which will necessitate a rewrite of the custom action,
the rest of the MGOS source tree is definitely buildable with VC express.

If anyone's interested, I have put up patches to enable building with VC
express in tickets 1411 and 1413

I am somewhat confident that VS 2010 express will achieve the same result.

I'm currently going through a 64-bit build with the cross compiler. Things
are looking good so far.