[mapguide-internals] Build and Installer work for MapGuide 2.2

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Thu Feb 4 23:32:09 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

The MapGuide 2.2 release was discussed at the PSC meeting today.  We are currently targeting March for the first 2.2 beta and a June for the 2.2 release.  The first beta can probably be 32 bit only.  The 2.2 release should support both 32 bit and 64 bit.  From the discussion in the meeting, there are a number of open build/installer items to resolve:

1. Resolution of 32 bit and 64 bit shared libraries on Linux
- The Server supports 32 & 64 bit builds.  The Web Extensions builds for 32 bit only since we only compile 32 bit versions of Apache and PHP.
- Since the Server and Web Extensions share libraries on Linux, we cannot easily mix and match 32/64 bit on the same machine.
- Further investigation is required to see if we can build a 64 bit web extensions, or if we can mix and match 32/64 bit shared libraries.

2. Windows Installer fixups for 32 bit
- The installation image for MapGuide has changed from MapGuide 2.1 to MapGuide 2.2.
- Various (minor?) fixups will be needed to get the Windows installer working again.

3. Including new FDO Providers in Windows Installers (32 and 64 bit)
- FDO 3.5 contains new providers: PostGIS, PostgreSQL, SQLite
- Ideally, these should be added to the Windows installer.

4. Windows Installer for 64 bit build
- The current Windows Installer is built for a 32 bit install.

5. Ubuntu binary (.deb) packages for 32 and 64 bit MapGuide
- We do not build or distribute binaries for Ubuntu.  We should.
- Item 1. will have to be resolved before we do 64 bit debs

6. CentOS binary (.rpm) packages for 32 and 64 bit MapGuide
- We do not build or distribute binaries for CentOS.  We should.
- Item 1. will have to be resolved before we do 64 bit rpms

I can look at items 5, 2, and 6 for 32 bit builds over the next few weeks.  This should get us close to a 32 bit only beta1.  I can then switch over to looking at item 1 to see if we can get the 64 bit Linux builds in shape.

Hopefully someone with more Windows installer experience can look at the other items (hint hint...)

It looks like I will need to do a major upgrade to the build infrastructure for MapGuide 2.2.  Supporting 32 and 64 bit on three different operating systems (Windows, CentOS, Ubuntu) will likely require 6 VMs.  With this many build VMs, we may want to switch to BuildBot to orchestrate the whole mess.