[mapguide-internals] GSOC Project : request for mentors

Rohit Razdan rrrazdan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 20:44:12 EDT 2010

Hi Guys,
I see that there is no suggested ideas page for MapGuide in osgeo
wiki, for 2010 and 2009.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2010_Ideas
Is that because of a conscious choice of you guys not participating in
GSOC? I am a Geoinformatics Major, and my introduction to osgeo is
through a project that I am implementing for my thesis. We are using
MapGuide and I thought why not do a project to make it better, as a
way of giving back to the community. But I didn't find a suggested
ideas page for MapGuide, in this year's or last year's GSoC pages

Now I would love to do a project with Mapguide. If a mentor, who is
involved with Mapguide can guide me with some projects that the
Mapguide community wants done, then that would be great. I noticed
that building Mapguide on my Ubuntu 9.10 required some major hacking
and roundabouts. Now even though I would prefer creating and
programming something new( I am open to ideas), packaging Mapguide to
build with gcc 4.4 and creating easy install and build packages for
major linux distros is a pretty important task, IMO. Creating a live
cd, with the new 10.04 LTS, again is also important. I can help with
these. Again I would really love to create something new and
contribute to the Mapguide community.

Regards
Rohit Razdan
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.