[mapguide-internals] openGL rendering (amazon compute) - doing stuff in 3D

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 04:09:26 EST 2010

I have been thinking about doing 3d rendering recently,
especially rendering say a building from side on as a
cross section with levels. ie a flat 2d perspective from side on

then I got this email about Amazon just launching a new instance type,
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/hpc-applications/

23 GB of memory
33.5 EC2 Compute Units (2 x Intel Xeon X5570, quad-core “Nehalem” architecture)
1690 GB of instance storage
64-bit platform
I/O Performance: Very High (10 Gigabit Ethernet)
API name: cc1.4xlarge

which are using these servers
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_tesla_M2050_M2070_us.html

which accelerate openGL on the GPU

mapserver has a RFC for a similiar effort from AGG to openGL
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-50.html

would openGL be useful in the request of 3d efforts?

Zac Spitzer
Solution Architect / Director
Ennoble Consultancy Australia
http://www.ennoble.com.au