[mapguide-internals] OpenLayers + SVG = MapGuide Vector Viewer

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Wed Sep 15 16:12:11 EDT 2010

Though I also like SVG's future, the fact that Microsoft is limiting its
support to IE9 (which will not be available for Windows XP) means that a
large proportion of users will be unable to access the maps.  My analytics
show XP users at about 45% for a certain local government site, just
slightly less for my personal blog, and 30% for an unrelated hobby site with
a lower percentage of government users.  Given that MS is committed to long
term support for XP (to 2020 if I recall correctly) in the enterprise, I
think its attrition rate will be relatively slow.

If we went ahead with something like this, then I'd want to see it done in a
way that viewer infrastructure is shared, allowing integrators to easily
publish a single map where browser support for SVG could be auto-detected
and either automatically used, or present the user with a choice.

If I recall correctly, Traian had a pretty decent working prototype of an
SVG-based map viewer that hit a JSON-based data interface on the back end.

Jason