[mapguide-internals] Re: OpenLayers + SVG = MapGuide Vector Viewer

VOLZ Mark (FN) Mark.Volz at ergon.com.au
Wed Sep 15 22:35:45 EDT 2010

Folks,

Is this not the same issue that continually comes up in this forum i.e.
the dwf viewer. I currently support a number of large
organisations/utilities that swear by it for this exact reason (client
side processing) and won't be moving from MGE2010 and design reviewer
2009 until an alternative is found. Cross browser support never comes
into the equation as they will always use IE for the simple reason it
comes with the OS of the client machines and is supported by MS (even
the latest version of the Google earth client will happily use IE8 as
its default browser and run a DWF Mapguide site).

Most people like to use Mapguide as it allows them to access various
data sources live (no other web based mapping tool does this)  and
therefore they want to keep using it ... BUT the costs involved in
getting servers/network/data warehouses with enough grunt to support
ajax and/or flex layouts far exceeds the advantages of using Mapguide.
Some users are accessing tables with 10,000,000+ records and having ajax
running back and doing a spatial query every time you select an object
is rather slow.

Will Autodesk hand over the emap (DWF mapping plug-in) code to the open
source community seeing as they are no longer supporting/using it?

Using the stats from Trevor's earlier email approx 60% of users use IE
so therefore support ActiveX. Why not re-release the DWF plug-in and
call it the OSGeo plug-in and the problem is solved for 60% of users
(and with a 90% market share of Operating systems pretty much everyone
has IE they just don't use it).

No changes required to the server (dwf production code is still there
and a copy/paste of the dwf viewer php/asp pages) and a massive boost to
performance for the users who want it and for those who want pretty
looking flex layouts or plain ajax pages running on different browsers
there isn't a problem.

I'm sure that I am missing something here but it just seems like such an
obvious solution.

Mark