[mapguide-internals] Re: OpenLayers + SVG = MapGuide Vector Viewer

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at autodesk.com
Thu Sep 16 17:24:11 EDT 2010

Actually IE6 is not included in the pretending :)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/08/27/introducing-compatibility-view.aspx

Basically it allows IE8 to pretend to be IE7.

Sadly given the nature of security issues today it's not reasonable to expect support for IE6. Unfortunately that means there is a lot of code out there that needs updating. It requires a lot of engineering to support 5 common browsers (Opera, Chrome, Safari, IE and Firefox) and their legacy versions. Trying QA'ing 9 or 10 browser versions...that doesn't even include the code required to handle all the cases as generally one set of code does not behave the same in all browsers. It's not just a little bit of extra engineering effort. Given the time frame MG is developed in Enterprise vs OS you can't fault either side for having to cut things off. If we just "engineered it a little bit more" each time we'd never deliver anything.

Old users will still have AJAX, but if you want the cool new stuff you have to upgrade. Consider online banking. If you don't use the browser the bank dictates you don't get to log on. It's that simple. Upgrading is a way of life. Unfortunately the history of browsers and html standards has created a large gap with IE6 that people and governments will have to deal with.

Conceptually I like Trevor's breakdown in terms of supporting what you can given the browser version, but if customers want your service they will have to use what you dictate. Hopefully you don't do major upheavals like this often. The move to MGE was a big one after how many years? The deprecation of DWF was sad, but given it's platform specific and was another free tool that required a significant amount of resources to produce you can't fault Autodesk for cutting back in hard times just like everyone else. The fact you can even get MGOS is still huge.

Just another point of view.
Regards,
Dave