[mapguide-internals] Re: OpenLayers + SVG = MapGuide Vector Viewer

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:58:58 EDT 2010

http://www.polymaps.org/ is interesting

On 17 Sep 2010 23:23, "Trevor Wekel" <trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I do not believe this is a greenfield project. It leverages our existing
software stack. We'd be using and building infrastructure around the
currently available support for vector layers in OpenLayers. In fact, we may
not touch anything to do with SVG. The OpenLayers project will (hopefully)
handle SVG-on-IE9 for us. Here's some doc links for OpenLayers

> http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Feature/Vector-js.html
> http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/Vector-js.html
>
> Fusion is build on OpenLayers. You can use OpenLayers vector layers in
Fusion today if you are willing to write some javascript. What we will be
doing with Fusion is to really leverage that functionality.

> There will definitely be code change for Fusion. Most of control
functionality is implemented in Fusion and things like selection and
attributes/properties display will change dramatically. Can we support the
old interaction model and new interaction model side-by-side in the same
javascript code base without turning it into spaghetti-scipt? I hope so.

> This will definitely be an interesting "enhancement" project. And
maintaining backward compatibility for existing clients will force us to
think a little harder on how we implement it. A well thought out RFC
detailing all the API changes will be required. We may have to break it into
multiple RFCs for readability purposes:

mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Jason Birch
> Sent: September 17, 2010 12:33 AM
> To: MapGuide Internals Mail List
> Subject: Re: [mapguide-internals] Re: OpenLayers + SVG = MapGuide Vector
Viewer

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/08/27/introducing-compatibility-view.aspx

>> Basically it allows IE8 to pretend to be IE7.
>>
>> Sadly given the nature of security issues today it's not reasonable to
>> expect support for IE6. Unfortunately that means there is a lot of code
out
>> there that needs updating. It requires a lot of engineering to support 5
>> common browsers (Opera, Chrome, Safari, IE and Firefox) and their legacy
>> versions. Trying QA'ing 9 or 10 browser versions...that doesn't even
include
>> the code required to handle all the cases as generally one set of code
does
>> not behave the same in all browsers. It's not just a little bit of extra
>> engineering effort. Given the time frame MG is developed in Enterprise vs
OS