[mapguide-internals] Future VS compiler

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Wed May 23 00:28:07 EDT 2012

Continuing with VS10 support will buy us about three years based on Microsoft Product Lifecycles http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=Visual+Studio.  If I am reading the table correctly, VS2010 will reach end of mainstream support in July 2015.

Having a different compiler for MapGuide Open Source and a different compiler for AIMS will make it more difficult to develop verticals which work on both - especially .Net verticals.

I expect most of our .Net development community is using Visual Studio 2010.  Asking them to use an open source tool for .Net development  Eclipse/Mono(?) could be problematic at best.

Having the open source community and Autodesk on the same version of Visual Studio is also advantageous from a "shared effort" perspective.  As a community, we could do a better job at contributing to FDO and MapGuide.  If we are on different compilers, contributions will be more difficult to manage.

Visual Studio Pro 2010 without MSDN (C5E-00521) is approximately $600.

Yes.  $600 sucks a bit.  Asking an entire community to change their development environment is probably worse.