[mapguide-trac] #1282: Enlarge the box in which symbols data and url are retrieved in ajaxmappane.templ

MapGuide Open Source trac_mapguide at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 2 12:30:24 EST 2010

#1282: Enlarge the box in which symbols data and url are retrieved in
ajaxmappane.templ
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gabrimonfa   |         Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |        Status:  new
Comment (by tomfukushima):

 Instead of doing this, I think we should fix symbol selection so that if
 the cursor is over a part of the symbol, that it will be selected. One way
 to do this is to create a "display list" that is stored in the !MapGuide
 session---the mouse moves could then do quick hit tests against the
 display list. Another way might be to use image maps that could be clicked
 (I doubt if these would be as accurate as display lists though)---and not
 sure how scalable it would be with thousands of features.

 The reason we need a display list or image map is because the "stylized
 symbol" can be quite different from the features point geometry (e.g., the
 symbol can be quite big, or it could be offset from the point completely);
 so to restylize all geometries within in a layer on the fly to do a point
 selection would be way to compute intensive for the server.  Also note
 that the same problems exist for lines which could also be offset or
 styled to be quite large.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/1282#comment:1>
MapGuide Open Source <http://mapguide.osgeo.org/>