MgConnectionFailedException and other problems on Suse 10

joanne cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 09:45:05 EDT 2006

Hi List,

I have compiled and installed the latest release of MapGuide Open Source on Suse 10 running on VMware (not sure if that's relevant). I got through the compilation and building sections with no errors, although when I was building and installing the default configuration Make Check hung at the point when it was checking gdal (again not sure if that's relevant), but make and make install seemed to work with no problems. Everything was installed from the standard packages as set out in the documentation, including Tomcat.

I then went on to build the release configuration, and again there were no errors reported. When I then went to run the server, I went to the /bin directory, ran ./mgserver.sh. and nothing seemed to happen, though mgserver and mgserver.sh were both reported as running processes. So, I went on to check the configuration of the webserver extensions and ran into a selection of problems:

http://localhost:8008 worked
http://localhost:8008/mapguide/index.html worked
http://localhost:8008/mapguide/mapagent/mapagent.fcgi?OPERATION=ENUMERATERESOURCES&VERSION=1.0.0&RESOURCEID=Library:// <http://localhost:8008/mapguide/mapagent/mapagent.fcgi?OPERATION=ENUMERATERESOURCES&VERSION=1.0.0&RESOURCEID=Library://>  gave me an MgConnectionFailedException
http://localhost:8008/mapguide/phpinfo.php worked
http://localhost:8008/mapguide/mapadmin/login.php gave me a username and password form but the Administrator/admin combination didn't work "Authentication failed. Please enter a valid username and password"
http://localhost:8080 gave me a message saying that the connection was refused
http://locahost:8080/mapguide/mapviewerjava/fake.jsp gave me a 503 error, saying that the service was temporarily unavailable, as did the last two pages for testing java web extensions.

Hope someone can help,

Jo Cook