[mapguide-users] Having trouble figuring out the path for wms

Thomas M. Tuerke thomas.m.tuerke at autodesk.com
Wed Jul 5 15:50:11 EDT 2006

Ivan, Joanne,

Shared sympathies on that 559 response.  It's a catch-all response, theoretically "of last resort."

Joanne: in regards to WMS, let me rephrase Ivan's response a bit: "Welcome to the joys of interoperability."  When you're doing WMS, you're at the mercy of several implementations (plus conditions on the network, etc.) ;-)

Strictly speaking, a proper WMS request is:

http://someurl?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS

in order to learn the capabilities of the server (where, as you might expect "someurl" is to be replaced by the URL of the server in question.)  The next step is typically

http://someurl?request=GetMap&a-bunch-of-specific-parameters

where the parameters are determined by what you learned from GetCapabilities.

Depending on the client, you might get away with just providing the http://someurl part; the client's UI will then guide you through the selection of layers, styles, and all that.

Other -- lower-level -- clients require you to literally type out the entire http://someurl?request=GetMap&etc request.  This has the unfortunate effect of placing an (undue?) burden of WMS sophistication on the user.

To that end, I've attached a little HTML web page that helps somewhat... in that you can play with the various parameters on the web page.  When you have something you want, you can copy the URL into the client's edit control.  It's not the most sophisticated thing out there, but for 3K of text, it does a workable job.

- Thomas