MapGuide working on FC5!

Marcus Spurkel mspurkel at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 22 16:39:59 EDT 2006

It took a while, but I finally got MapGuide to compile and run without
segfault errors on Fedora Core 5.  I really wanted to see if I could get
it working with the latest gcc (4.1) and Apache (2.2)  For those about
to try, I salute you (<g> -- sorry).  Seriously, for the benefit of
everyone, here are some problems that I ran into as well as the solution:

1. Don't try downloading FDO 3.2 -- I'm told it's not compatible with
MapGuide at the moment.  Use 3.0
2. gcc 4.1 is a lot less forgiving than earlier versions.  It took many
iterations of running "make", waiting for it to abort and then fixing
the error before it ran all the way through.

BTW, Traian Stanev told me the "extra qualification" errors have been
fixed but I see no evidence of that in the svn trunk or branches that I
checked.  Have they not been published yet?

3. THIS IS KEY: apparently all those stop&go make iterations interfered
with the overall compilation or linking process because the resulting
mapagent binary generates a segmentation fault error as soon as you try
to run it.  The solution?  "make clean"  and then "make" again from
scratch.  Once it had a chance to run smoothly from start to finish,
everything started working.

4. Because I already have Apache and PHP installed, I decided to not run
the mapguideinstaller tar.  Instead, I looked at the build_apt.sh script
and tried to install just what was missing; mainly FastCGI.  As it
stands, FastCGI DOES NOT COMPILE FOR APACHE 2.2!  The project apparently
hasn't been updated in a while.  For anyone who wants to compile for
Apache 2.2, go here and follow the instructions:
http://fastcgi.com/archives/fastcgi-developers/2005-December/004060.html

That's about it so far.  Like I said, it took a while -- a situation not
helped by the fact that my test server is old and underpowered (450MHz
P3 with 512MB RAM) so a complete "make" took about 6 hours -- but it
does work.

Good luck everybody,
-Marcus