[mapguide-users] WHAT IS WMS and WFS?

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 31 03:32:01 EDT 2006

WMS and WFS are OpenGIS standards, published by the Open Geospatial
Consortium (OGC). It is a standardized protocol for the exchange of maps
as images (WMS) and in the form of vector data (WFS).

So WMS only delivers images, using WFS you can also get the actual vector
data, mostly in GML format. GML is Geography Markup Language, an XML based
format for geographic data.

WMS and WFS use HTTP GET and POST.

The advantage ofcourse is that this protocol is not dependent on the
vendor you use, so a WMS client can talk to ESRI ArcIMS, Mapguide etc.
etc. (ofcourse in practice there are always some problems most of the
time).

Check the www.opengeospatial.org site for the PDF documents of the
specifications.

Best regards,