[mapguide-users] Where did the original MapGuide Open Sourcecode come from?

John Roberts johnemyr at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 06:56:46 EDT 2007

Dear Kenneth

That is interesting. I had thought that it was the Autodesk MapGuide code
that had been the source of MapGuide Open Source.

However, with regard to MapServer, this is the article in Directions Mag
that I found. It refers specifically to Stephen Lime's MapServer being
involved. What do you think?

Does anybody else know what MapServer's involvement was?

John
Manchester, UK

(http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2037&trv=1)
The article states:

'Members of the open source MapServer community including MapServer
Technical Steering Committee Members, the University of Minnesota and DM
Solutions Group along with software industry giant Autodesk, signed their
names to an open letter announcing the creation of the MapServer Foundation
in recent weeks.'

'The existing MapServer code base, currently managed by Steve Lime at the
University of Minnesota, will be renamed MapServer Cheetah (to distinguish
it from MapServer Enterprise) and will be part of the Foundation's
library.Along with the MapServer Enterprise code, Autodesk will also
contribute a dozen of its data access tools, called feature data objects
(FDOs).Autodesk will retain rights to a few of these including those used to
access Oracle and SQL Server.'