[mapguide-users] SVG output

James Card James.Card at calcad.com
Tue Aug 28 13:01:19 EDT 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:02:30 -0700, azpublic <azpublic at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> I was wondering if mapguide OS had an SVG output feature ? Is it
> possible for example to output a map in an SVG / XML format rather than
> a raster format as it is normally the case.
>
> The idea here is to have the mapguide server output the raw SVG data to
> a client and let the client (a mobile device) do the image rendering.
>
> Would outputting SVG data rather than raster (gif, jpeg, png) be less
> bandwidth consuming for my devices, i.e. would the xml flow be lighter
> that an image file ?

No, MapGuide doesn't yet have an SVG output option. SVG is potentially
lighter in terms of bandwidth but, unless you know the client
environment(s) very well, will restrict you to very simple applications
(not much more than basic display of the map features) because interactive
maps typically depend heavily upon client-side scripting.

You might want to look at <URL: http://mapyrus.sourceforge.net/ > for
simple generation of SVG maps.

code, and discussion of the issues involved in SVG maps.

--
James Card
209-578-5580