[mapguide-users] ODBC performance

Jon Rizzo jrizzo at Langan.com
Wed Jun 13 10:48:00 EDT 2007

I just upgraded to 1.2 RC1 today and I loaded my site.  It looks like there
are a lot of great new features - the new symbolization will be particularly
helpful to us.

I have been having performance issues on my site, which seem to be related
to an ODBC feature source which I have joined to an SDF feature source.  The
ODBC database is running on the same server as MapGuide.  It takes several
seconds (between 5 and 10) for the viewer to display the user's selection,
and about the same amount of time for my page to load initially.  Depending
on who you ask, opinions of my site vary from 'annoying' to 'useless'.  The
poor performance is particularly surprising because the layer only has about
100 polygons on it, and the other layers are not particularly complex
either.  I have posted about this issue previously & was advised that there
would be improvements in the new version which might help.  I tested my
application in 1.2 RC1 and I was disappointed to find that the upgrade did
not have an effect on the performance of my application.   Is there anything
that can I can do to improve performance here (and not lose the ability to
theme or label extended properties)?  Is there still work being done to
address ODBC performance issues, or is my situation unique?  Thanks for any
information you can provide.

Jon