[mapguide-users] Advice for a beginner!

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Mar 3 01:44:34 EST 2007

John Roberts wrote:
-------------
I am a beginner with MapGuide Open Source and have a query which I am hoping
you can help with!

-------------

Hi John.  I can answer some of your questions, but I'd imagine that some of them have not been encountered by others before. :)

> 1. Do I install MapGuide Server first?

That is generally a good idea.

> 2. Do I then install MapGuide Server extensions second?

Again, it's not critical, but it's probably a good idea.

> Would I choose Manual Configuration and link that to
> an installation of Apache Tomcat?

Well, yes, if you're feeling adventurous.  I've generally just installed MapGuide with the bundled Apache/PHP as it means that I don't need to worry about getting the right PHP version (5.0.5 I think), installing the extensions, setting up aliases and handlers, etc.  I think that this would work for you also, as it installs Apache listening under a nonstandard port (8008) by default.  But if you are interested in doing it yourself, I believe that all of the settings required are in the document "Build and Configure MapGuide on Windows" (off the top of my head).

> or can I use the HTTP server
>bundled with the Tomcat as a HTTP server in its own right?

No clue...

> 4. Can MapGuide Open Source read data from PostGIS?

Yes, using the optional OGR provider which you can download here:

http://download.osgeo.org/fdo/3.2.0/OGRProvider-3.2.0.win32.zip <http://download.osgeo.org/fdo/3.2.0/OGRProvider-3.2.0.win32.zip>

There is also an effort underway to develop a native PostGIS FDO provider, which is so close to completion that I can taste it.  Once an initial build is available for testing, we'll likely be posting a compiled version so that other users can break it for us.

Jason