[mapguide-users] Connect to mysql database - get error

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at autodesk.com
Fri Mar 16 10:29:14 EDT 2007

If you make changes to your system path you need to at least stop and restart the MapGuide server before it will be able to load the dll. A reboot should achieve the same thing. The path needs to be the full path to the gui install where the libmysql.dll is found for example: C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Query Browser 1.1

Can you confirm you can connect to the database successfully with the query tool?

An alternative to having the full gui tool installed is to place a copy of the libmysql.dll into the bin\fdo folder of the server install. Stop and restart the MG Server. Test again.

Can I assume you at least have an entry for the OSGeo provider for MySQL in your provider list in Studio when you attempt to make a Data connection? If the provder is not in your list then you may have to reinstall the server so that it creates the required entry for the provider in your providers.xml.

You could also edit the providers.xml in the server bin\fdo folder and add the following section if it is missing:

  <FeatureProvider>
    <Name>OSGeo.MySQL.3.1</Name>
    <DisplayName>OSGeo FDO Provider for MySQL </DisplayName>
    <Description>Read/write access to MySQL-based data store. Supports spatial data types and spatial query operations. </Description>
    <IsManaged>False</IsManaged>
    <Version>3.1.0.0</Version>
    <FeatureDataObjectsVersion>3.1.0.0</FeatureDataObjectsVersion>
    <LibraryPath>FdoMySql.dll</LibraryPath>
  </FeatureProvider>

Note if you have the most recent build of MGOS then I believe the version of the FDO provider is not 3.1, but 3.2. Edit to match other entries.

Note the above changes are for the Spatial provider. If you are attempting to make an ODBC connection you need to install the ODBC driver as well also found on the MySQL site:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html

Both types of connections work.

Regards,
Dave