[mapguide-users] Newbie learning to insert images

Krunoslav a_krunoslav at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 04:05:34 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam-2 wrote:

> There is some work likely to happen soon to help address this.  In the
> meantime
> it might actually be better for you to merge your 50 images into a smaller
> number of larger images.  For instance if you merged these into four TIFF
> files of around 1.2GB each that would be quite helpful.

Thank you very much for your help. I downloaded latest fixes from gdal.org.

Now it works with single TIFF image. It is right where it should be, but it
takes pretty long time to load. Now I'll try "gdaladdo" and report back what
happens.

My obvious mistake was that I thought (as former web designer) that it is
better to have a lot of smaller files than one big file. Is there any
"optimum" size for Tiff image or can I merge them all together or it depends
on my hardware?

One more question for Mapguide Studio users: when I enter DefaultRasterFile
location, is it really necessary to add files via "New" button, or this Data
Connection will always look for images in DefaultRasterFile location?

Anyway, Frank, thank you again and I will report back on my success (or
failure) with those images. Now back to work :)