[mapguide-users] Newbie learning to insert images

Krunoslav a_krunoslav at gmx.net
Wed Mar 21 05:11:23 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam-2 wrote:

> It can be better to use many small files but it depends on the nature of
> the software and what the typical map view is like.  Unfortunately, the
> raster provider has no support for a tileindex mechanism to rapidly
> select only the desired rasters for the current view, so many small files
> are actually worse for now.  This is the part we hope to correct for a
> future version.

Thank you again Frank. Everything works fine now. I did everything as you
suggested, and images are shown at their location. Tileindex mechanism would
be great, since it's really painful to work with such large size images.
Although I have good computer, working with Tiffs over 1GB size is not easy
job. Anyway, it works, and performance over LAN is totally acceptable.
However, I would like to make another map instance, which would be
accessible from internet. I know I will have to sacrifice quality for
performance, but anyway...
What would you suggest for such task? TIFF's with jpeg compression? Or just
jpeg's? Is it even possible to have georeferenced jpeg's?

Frank Warmerdam-2 wrote:

> GeoTIFF only supports up to 4GB file size, so that is the upper limit.
> Until some sort of tileindexing is in place, it will generally be better
> to merge files assuming they are contiguous and all at the same
> resolution.

Yes, those are aerial photo images, and they are contiguous and at the same
resolution.

Frank Warmerdam-2 wrote:

>> One more question for Mapguide Studio users: when I enter
>> DefaultRasterFile
>> location, is it really necessary to add files via "New" button, or this
>> Data
>> Connection will always look for images in DefaultRasterFile location?
>
> I do not believe the files added with the New button have any effect.
> If the DefaultRasterFileLocation property is the only thing that has any
> effect currently.  If it points to a single file, then that file is the
> only
> thing used.  If it points to a directory, then all the GDAL recognised
> raster
> files in that directory will be scanned.
>
> So if DefaultRasterFileLocation is currently pointing to the directory
> with
> all the images, then all the images are already being scanned.

Yes, that's right. It's enough to enter Default Raster File location and it
works, all images are shown.

Thanks again for your help and keep up the good work.